Here is a good (or WAY good) idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a good (or WAY good) idea!

How about you create a topic, or forum, or whatever you want to call it, for all of the high scores?

If a game has a time, or a score, or something similar, then whenever someone wins, and has a winning score, they take a screenshot.
    If they show their screenshot, and it is the new high score for that game, they get their name put in as the lead score on the (sticky, ) front page.

Also, this will add excitement and a new challenge to old games, trying to get the high score. If Mistery has the high score, EscapeGirl can do everything in her power to beat it!
    (Go ahead and edit this out if you don't like me using you as examples, )

The best part (for the mods) is, you would not have to do a lot of work to get it in, because the users would have to post with their screenshots to get on the board, and you would not have to update every single game you have to start it up! Just once for each time a score is posted/beaten. No research or hard work on your part, because the users have to do it if they want their score on the front page. All you have to do is press EDIT on the first post to change the scores.
    Last edited by Justeazy; 08-05-2008, 03:06:11. Reason: Kuz I wanted to!
    READ
    >>CLICK>>sigpic<<CLICK<<
    It'll SHOCK you!
    Post anything and everything about Short Circuit HERE!

Can you please clarify these questions that I have, so that I fully understand what your idea is:

- What do you mean with "they get their name put in as the lead score on the (sticky, ) front page."?

- Do you think of creating a separate thread for each game with highscores?

Comment

#1: It was just like a "You should make it sticky, 'wink wink'"
      #2: Yes, but i've seen people call them topics, messages, etc.

Here is an example:

This is where all of the high scores for gamershood members will be posted.
      Rules:
      (explain the rules [breifly explained above] in detail here)

Categories:
      Room Escape Games:
      | This Escape: Escape girl got out with a time of 2:51
      | That Escape: Mistery beat it, with perfect ending, with 3:27

Adventure:
      | Adventure 1: Shining Star got a high score of 999!
      | Adventure 2: Dia was the first person to beat the boss!

Action:
      | Shoot 'em up: Midnight killed 5,000 enemies!
      | Endurance: Someguy lated 5 hours!

Basically like that, but better looking, and with real games and peoples scores,
      READ
      >>CLICK>>sigpic<<CLICK<<
      It'll SHOCK you!

Comment

It's not a bad idea, actually! I like it too. But wouldn't it be too complicated to do that for every game?
        Happy endings are just unfinished stories...

PandaMan

Elite member of the Looney Bin with ex wife "SimplyCrazy" and on-line kids "Wirodeu, Bread ...and Rannei"

sigpic

Comment

5 hours? I'd go insane!

But really, this looks like a good idea.
          I think that it could be more condensed, by having a weekly challenge with one game at a time, and the mods could post the high scores for that game that week.

Comment

Yes, I agree with Someguy. Now, that'd be something. Having a race for a game every week! It'd be fun and challening too. I love the idea!
            Happy endings are just unfinished stories...

PandaMan

Elite member of the Looney Bin with ex wife "SimplyCrazy" and on-line kids "Wirodeu, Bread ...and Rannei"

sigpic

Comment

Yay.
              I can lead the resistance with my one follower.

Comment

I like this idea, but we would probably have to have different threads for different games, there might be a lot. Or like a weekly thing like someguy
                The GH Eagle suggested
                Lucy Cook on http://games.madebig.com/

Comment

This is starting to seem very similar to the Games Contest thread, but with a longer time period.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah i agree with crimson except this is a bigger scale and i beleive it is a really good idea

would the game be selected by mods or the person with the highscore
                    sigpic

Comment

But there can be different catagories for that one game that could get selected, like JE said.

Comment

Wow, I was just pitching the idea...
                        Come to think of it, you could span it off like the highest score game, but all of the high scores would be posted on the first page, instead of lost in hundreds of pages.

Also, if it is in weekly incriments, there should be a set day (like, tuesdays for example) that you can post your scores to past games too, so if you were unavaliable for something, or you want to make your own score harder to beat, it could all be updated the next day!

PS, glad you all like my idea
                        READ
                        >>CLICK>>sigpic<<CLICK<<
                        It'll SHOCK you!

Comment

There have been 3 ideas suggested:
                          • Creating a thread wherein all highs scores are gathered.
                          • Creating a new sub-forum for high scores, where each game with a high score has its own thread.
                          • Creating a new forum game that is in fact the same as Game Contest, with the main difference that the contest lasts a week and that all high scores are gathered in the lead post.

Those ideas are nice indeed, but in the first place there are two important points to mention.
                          1) There are very many games with high scores.
                          2) It is not possible to make a posts sticky.

Creating a thread wherein all highs cores are gathered.
                          If you would create one thread for gathering all high scores of all games, this would give a mess if the thread became popular and it wouldn't be updated on daily basis. Twenty members could post screen shots of 20 different games, or even more (one member can post 10 screen shots for different games). Updating the lead post would be the work of the moderators. This means we have to check all post and compare them with the lead post to see if there new games to add or new high scores.

Creating a new sub-forum for high scores, where each game with a high score has its own thread.
                          Creating separate threads for each game that has high scores would mean an enormous amount of new threads. Usually the thread for games that have high scores don't have a large amount of posts. Two threads for a single game would just be a great tax on the server resources.
                          Perhaps it is an idea to decide together which game will be in the race for a whole week and post in the already existing game thread?

Creating a new forum game that is in fact the same as Game Contest, with the main difference that the contest lasts a week and that all high scores are gathered in the lead post.
                          This is the best compromise of above ideas. Updating the lead post once per week isn't much work.

To come to a conclusion. Only the last idea has our approval, that is if most of you, or even better all of you, agree with this idea to create Weekly Game Challenge thread.

So what is it going to be? Or when anyone has another and better idea, please share.
                          Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure View Post
                            Creating a new forum game that is in fact the same as Game Contest, with the main difference that the contest lasts a week and that all high scores are gathered in the lead post.
                            This is the best compromise of above ideas. Updating the lead post once per week isn't much work.

To come to a conclusion. Only the last idea has our approval, that is if most of you, or even better all of you, agree with this idea to create Weekly Game Challenge thread.

So what is it going to be? Or when anyone has another and better idea, please share.

I am completly fine with that .
                            That is a lot farther than I thought my original pitch could have gone. I would still like to add that each game that is on the lead post have the high score or time or whatever with the person posted next to it, so we wouldn't have to dig through how many pages it could have to see what the lead score is. And organized however so it'd be easier to look up a certain game if we weren't here whenever the winner was announced.
                            READ
                            >>CLICK>>sigpic<<CLICK<<
                            It'll SHOCK you!

Comment

I like it.

Comment

Working...
                              X