Finding The Game Author / Original Link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding The Game Author / Original Link

I've checked all the threads and this seemed the most appropriate one to ask in...

Every Escape the Room game I've done, I've written out walkthroughs and put a link to the game. Now, a lot of games are hosted by other sites, but I like to have the original hosting site in my walkthroughs so as to give credit to the actual creator of the game. How do I go about finding out who made the particular game so I can find out where it's originally hosted?

Some games will have a link embedded in them stating a particular website, but too many of them don't.

Any thoughts? Hopefully short of replaying all the games and watching for credits at the end?? Which wouldn't help if they're in a different language.

Hi GentsBabe,

It's indeed not always easy to figure out the author of a game, or the "official" website of the game.
    I also tend to look for the original link of games, but don't always succeed, and in some cases the game authors don't even have a website but submit their game to one of the game portals where it's hosted first.
    And some game authors make different start screens for different game portals, so that in some cases there are more than 1 "official" links.

Some pointers:
    • Link in the game, name of the author on the start screen, or Credits at the beginning or at the end
    • Certain websites like Jayisgames do have a detailed description of the games that they review, including info about the author.
    • Google helped me also often to find the original link of games. It can be time consuming though.

But in some cases it's indeed impossible to find out the author/original link, and in case of foreign (like Japanese, Chinese etc.) games it's difficult for us to do a Google search, especially if the game title in only available on the game screen and can't be copy-pasted.

Comment

I've been Googling games that I've done since I started playing Escape games, which is a couple years ago now. There was a few from way back that I didn't have a link to so I was trying to look those up... have you ever tried to find a game called HTML? Or ONE particular game just called Escape???? There's HUNDREDS of them!!! lmao The HTML one drove me NUTS! I know I had to have found it originally from either here or maybe Nordinho, but never found it. I guess I'd found it playing one game and it had links and I'd clicked on a site.

I've gotten much better though, this past year I've made sure to keep a link when I do a game and then I don't have to worry. I've got a list of the ones I've done so far - there's 343 on it - but I'm nowhere near done yet.

Comment

Yes I know it's difficult in many cases
        HTML or Escape are really titles that drive you nuts - even for checking if they are already posted here or not, if a new game with such a title is submitted.

Unfortunately there is no *magic* solution to this problem.

Comment

As long as I've played the game already, it's a matter of using Google Image search... then I just flick through the pages till I find the right screen shot

I learned that lesson from my 7 yr old... he "borrowed" my laptop one day because he wanted to play this car racing game that he usually plays on his Daddy's puter. On going through my laptop's history files, I discovered that he'd Google Image'd the game till he found the right screen shot and away he went! Unfortunately for him - but not for me, lol - the battery died before he could play it.

I've also found it a lot better to use Google to search this site. Gamershood doesn't look for small words like "the" or "and", so you often don't find the game you're looking for, even if it is here. Typing the name in brackets in Google and adding Gamershood after it ["Escape Game Name" Gamershood] gives you much better results.

Comment

Indeed the forum search is limited to words longer than 3 letters, and not common words. However, I often do additional searches on gamershood.com as there the searches are not limited.

Comment

Working...
            X