Charles Dickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Dickens

Hi, guys! i kinda need some help finding out info about the english novelist Charles Dickens... its my homework, and i cant find any info thats short... i only find PAGES of info.

please help me? thanx!^^
    Zox.

With bob.
    I am an elite member of
    GFARDTO
    And supporter of its subunit UPMGPC

I'm loony, I'm in a bin, I'm in the loonybin!

My swords
    deviantART

My deviant(my art)
    Gets updated regularly, remember to stop by and see my art.

Zox, I made a little search and I can't find anything short...
    I found this on Wikipedia, and it was the shortest text I found:

"Charles John Huffam Dickens FRSA (7 February 1812 – 9 June 1870), pen-name "Boz", was an English novelist. During his career Dickens achieved massive worldwide popularity, winning acclaim for his rich storytelling and memorable characters. Considered one of the English language's greatest writers, he was the foremost novelist of the Victorian era as well as a vigorous social campaigner.

Later critics, beginning with George Gissing and G. K. Chesterton, championed his mastery of prose, his endless invention of memorable characters and his powerful social sensibilities. Yet he also received criticism from his more rarefied readers, including George Henry Lewes, Henry James, and Virginia Woolf, who list faults such as sentimentality, unrealistic events and grotesque characters.

The popularity of his novels and short stories during his lifetime and to the present is demonstrated by the fact that none have ever gone out of print. Dickens wrote serialised novels, which was the usual format for fiction at the time, and each new part of his stories would be eagerly anticipated by the reading public. He is regarded by many as the greatest writer of his time."

You could use this one, maybe read some other stuff about Charles Dickens and see if there's some info missing...
    Here's the page: Charles Dickens
    Going on a trip around the universe on a convertible

Comment

I love Charles Dickens

A Little Ferret Thief
      OLGM Lilliput, OLM Escapegirl, OLD Darknight and OLB George
      Member of GFARDTO and the Looney Bin
      OHOHOH!! Check it out:
      My city: http://taesana.myminicity.com/
      Pretty Please!!!!! Please, please, please!!! I'll even beg *gets on knees*

Comment

He made A LOT of books. My favorite is Oliver Twist.

I am an elite member of GFARTDO

I am the witch of GH planet!!

Also french partner of HeartoftheDark

Comment

i was gunna read oliver twist but i couldent find it in the store is it any good?

Comment

i feel sorry 4 ya lol ive just finished a piece of corsewrk on the bloke. 7 full pages of it
            sigpic

Comment

I don't know what to pick.
              Chales Dickens tends to over describe things, so his stories are pretty boring.
              Do the Dew

Comment

I normally don't post on chit-chat threads, but since this about one of my favorite writers I feel compelled. I am still trying to solve the mystery of Edwin Drood to this day (to my knowledge it is the only mystery novel ever written without a definite conclusion). I only wish that he could have completed it before his death. There are so many theories in my mind but there will never be any closure.

Comment

Why would they publish a book that's unfinished?
                  Do the Dew

Comment

Because he died half way through writing it. The copy I have ends in the middle of a sentence. It was probably released because of the author's popularity.

Of course when you think about it look how many books Christopher Tolkien has put together just using notes his father left behind. One of the more interesting pieces is the sequel to the Lord of the Rings. It is only one chapter long and barely hints at anything to come.

I guess when there is a demand people will read it, regardless of how complete it is.

Comment

Working...
                    X