Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why so few "choose-your-own-adventure" type books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so few "choose-your-own-adventure" type books?

I've always wondered why the "Choose-your-own-adventure" type of books never gained wide acceptance. Why were they largely confined to just fantasy and RPG? And why mostly kid books?

Why hasn't, for example, Steven King made a novel with a "Choose-your-own-adventure" format? He could let the readers guide the actions of the protagonist. Something like: "If you think Paula should run from the Zombie - turn to page 184. If you think Paula should try to kill the zombie with her axe - turn to page 701. If you think she should stand there and scream like an idiot.... etc... etc...

You would think that there would be at least ONE big-name author who would have tried something like that - if only for a publicity gimmick.

Why so few CYOA books? Is there some kind of stupid copyright law that prevents it? Anyone know?

I think I might know. I am working on a book (check my sig) and it takes so much work and effort. Trying to work out many different paths and endings to one book, organizing it, and just not collapsing from shear fatigue, would be to hard. I am only speaking for myself, but best-selling authors probably have to put more effort into their books since they are expected to write something great.

A Little Ferret Thief
    OLGM Lilliput, OLM Escapegirl, OLD Darknight and OLB George
    Member of GFARDTO and the Looney Bin
    OHOHOH!! Check it out:
    My city: http://taesana.myminicity.com/
    Pretty Please!!!!! Please, please, please!!! I'll even beg *gets on knees*

Comment

I agree with you Suncrafter. Whenever I am in a book store I hardly find "choose-your-own-adventure" type books. My favourite's among these books are "Give yourself Goosebumps" by R.L.Stine. They are really fantastic. I don't know if any other authors have written such books.
      Cℓĭck Here to pℓαγ "Tђє First Door"
      tђє мost cђαℓℓєηgĭηg oηℓĭηє qυєst.

"We don't stop playing games because we grow old,
      we grow old because we stop playing games"
      sigpic

Comment

I like those books...
        But i can't find them anywhere.
        Live in virtue no desire.
        And in the grave an angels' choir.
        You look to heaven, wonder why.
        No one can see them in the sky.
        Rammstein ~ Engel

I have a family ^.^,Wiro's my Brother,Crazy's my Mother,Hitman's my Father and Rannei's my Sister!

Comment

As far as murder/mystery/suspense/action books, I think the best part is not _knowing_ what's going to happen next. Sure, there are times when I've disagreed with a twist in the plot, but I don't think I'd want to read a CYOA book designed for adults. I also don't think that one would ever be taken seriously by reviewers; I can't imagine any CYOA book having a strong structure (regarding rising action, climax, resolution, etc.) I enjoyed these kind of books as a kid, and they're great for getting children interested in reading, but eh. That's just my opinion.
          sigpic

Comment

ive actually only seen one of these books and it was about a baseball game, i read it in grade 2 and really didnt like it to much as it was tedious and repetitive to choose the path and find the right pages also i remember getting pissed off because never opened to the right page and saw diffrent paths that made no sense i really just prefer reading through a book without having to turn so many pages

Comment

Srry for bumping

I found a huge list of choose your own adventure books!
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure

Comment

I agree with E.b. R.L stine has done it but he did it a while ago.

Comment

I've got the obvious answer to this question.
                  Because they suck.
                  Not to be the debbie downer of the situation, but that's the truth of the matter.
                  Do the Dew

Comment

I love these books

I'm smilie mad
                    ENTER A GLOWING GATE TO FIND MOLE
                    MOLE OF THE LOONEY BIN.ELITE MOLE OF GFARDTO
                    Online sisters suzy
                    ~virgo~&zillah
                    long lost bro:hitman
                    MOM:nefertiti
                    DAD:party4ever
                    UNCLE:yorick
                    AUNTS:mcakkay&DIA

sigpic

Comment

I loved those books when I was 13-14, I went often to the library to get them.

Comment

I was faaaarrr to impatient to read them.. don't get me wrong, I liked them, however I always peeked ahead to see if i was choosing the right page. if I saw the word 'fall' 'die'.. etc after a quick scan of the page, I would quickly flip back and choose the other option
                        So I don't think I used them properly enough to have enjoyed them to their fullest

The unspecifically shaped member of the Looney Bin

Comment

yes but i love gose bumps ones they rock
                          .Love.Explore.Laugh.Smile.Shop.Live.Rock.Flirt.Discorve.Accelerate.Express.Challange

Comment

Working...
                          X