Monster's Den

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster's Den

This is a party-based dungeon crawl tactical RPG. Create a party of up to four heroes, from five distinct character classes. Then battle to the depths of the dungeon, increasing in strength and finding powerful treasure. Good luck

Play Here or Here

Click image for larger version

Name:	Monstersdan.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1695835

Good game, takes a long time to get to the "THE CORRUPTOR," but it was fun. I played on beginner level and none of my characters died until the final battle.
    One issue is I think there are too many items to sort through. I'll probably play again on a harder setting with different classes...

Started over a couple times, couldn't beat level one without someone dying, doh!
    Last edited by Mxyzptlk; 12-19-2007, 20:43:09. Reason: update

Comment

I just can't get pass level 3. Kill everybody in any level? pffff.
      The enemies seem to grow stronger than us. Is there any way to regenerate health or power withou using potions or the altar?
      Follower of our Lord Jesus!
      Sola Scriptura
      Solus Christus
      Sola Gratia
      Sola Fide
      Soli Deo Gloria
      To God be the glory!

Comment

Originally posted by andiogenes View Post
        I just can't get pass level 3. Kill everybody in any level? pffff.
        The enemies seem to grow stronger than us. Is there any way to regenerate health or power withou using potions or the altar?
        Yeah the game seems much harder than it was the first time...

To regain health and power, find and equip items that regenerate health/power. Near the end of a fight when you can kill the last enemy in one hit, pass turns so everyone before the monster's next attack can regain some health/power.
        Also equip 'vampiric' items that will drain life from enemies when you attack.

The second link in the original post is an updated version with a difficulty setting, much easier than the first link...
        http://www.kongregate.com/games/garin/monsters-den
        Last edited by Mxyzptlk; 12-20-2007, 16:17:17. Reason: update

Comment

Too hard, the game appearance and system is good, but autosave function gave me more problems than help. Moreover, you can't return to previous levels... The game could have been very greater with some good ideas...

Comment

Using the Kongregate link and setting the difficulty to easy really helps... I got to level 36 and was bored and quit... but yes the Gamershood link is way too difficult I think. I don't see how anyone could get past level 5 or so on that. Hopefully the author will tweak it some more.

Comment

Helped a lot

Thank you. That helped a lot. I'm using normal level, but the vampiric itens are really good.

Originally posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
              Yeah the game seems much harder than it was the first time...

To regain health and power, find and equip items that regenerate health/power. Near the end of a fight when you can kill the last enemy in one hit, pass turns so everyone before the monster's next attack can regain some health/power.
              Also equip 'vampiric' items that will drain life from enemies when you attack.

The second link in the original post is an updated version with a difficulty setting, much easier than the first link...
              http://www.kongregate.com/games/garin/monsters-den
              Follower of our Lord Jesus!
              Sola Scriptura
              Solus Christus
              Sola Gratia
              Sola Fide
              Soli Deo Gloria
              To God be the glory!

Comment

Great game - quick strategy guide

First, this is a really nice and slick implementation of a turn based RPG. It's sort of Diablo - ish - dungeon crawl with fancy items but no real plot. Some people have been complaining that the game is tough - it isn't. The real issue is that the mechanics are different from most RPGs, so traditional strategies won't work.

In Monster Den there's no sleeping and no casting spells outside of combat. This means that you must get as close to possible to full health and mana before ending combat. Easy - just get down to one enemy, then neutralize him and pass turns till everyone is at full strength. The best way to do this is to use the mage spell Cosmic Prison.

You get experience from leveling up, NOT FROM KILLING MONSTERS. Therefore, avoid difficult fights, particularly when starting out. In general, you should never fight more than 4 monsters until your party is well equipped and has advanced a few level. Try to sneak around the dungeon using different routes and use the scrolls of deception if necessary to find the exit.

Assmbling the best party: Mages are by far your best weapon, but they're a little weak so keep them in the back row. The best spells are freeze - cheap damage with possibility of stun, fireball - good damage to multiple enemies, and cosmic prison - neutralize last opponent. Electrical storm is OK but very expensive so fireball is generally better. The goal of the mage is to do as much damage as quickly as possible to get enemy numbers down.

Clerics are healers. Their job is to keep eveyone alive. Take either one or two and stick them in the front row. Best spells are heal, heal all and revive. Litany of pain and Holy Light are OK but their real job is just to soak up damage and cast healing spells.

Warriors soak up damage and do a little themselves. Take one at most and stick in the front. Again - mages are your key weapons, so the warriors real job is just to soak up damage. Best skills are power attack and cleave, although cleave is VERY expensive, so only use it if you will hit three opponents. Blood lust is handy to regain power while killing an opponent.

Rangers and Thieves aren't worth taking. They can't do damage like mages, heal like clerics or absorb damage like warriors. Stay away.

The best party is 2 mages, 1 cleric and either another cleric (my choice) or a warrior. Let the mages kill the monsters and have the clerics keep everyone alive. Starting off with Holy Light can help keep damage down later.

For stats, I like to add 2 to intellect and 1 to endurance each level for mages, 2 to endurance and 1 to intellect for clerics and 2 to endurance and 1 to strength for warriors. Remember, your mages need to kill things and your clerics and warriors need to soak up damage and stay alive.

When picking equipment, focus on health and power regeneration. It's worth sacrificing armor or damage to pick up power and health regeneration. Mages in particular need as much power regeneration as possible. Don't use two handed waepons - remember, the warrior just needs to stay alive and soak up damage, so get a big shield with regeneration.

Finally, complaining about the lack of stores is a little silly. This is a dungeon, remember? How could store keeper possibly set up shop?

Kudos to the desginers, feel free to email me at p1q0@yahoo.com if you have comments on this guide.

Comment

good game...
                  Alcohol. The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
                  world of warcraft gold

Comment

Rangers are tottaly worth it. If you give them equipment with poisoin damage and then let them use "hail of arrows" you can poison up to six people with just one attack. They also have the "pierce" and "Hunter's Prowess" abilities that make them useful both in the beggining and later stages of the game. They are also extremely quick and can boost the speed of others by using "Swiftness", this ability has made a lot of battles easier.
                    Their healing abilities may not be top notch but they can help the party limp through the battle if neccesary because they can both heal and give a regeneration bonus.
                    Soaking up damage is not neccesary for them if you give them ranged weapons and armor with lots of "damage reflection". I had a ranger with %246 damage reflection, I didn't have to worry about being hit because if he was hit he normally caused a killing blow.

Comment

Working...
                    X