Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create an escape game - a series of flash tutorials

Hey guys!

You may know me through the games I made, I am the author of the Core series of point and click adventure games.

I am currently in the process of creating a series of tutorials, aimed at teaching people who would like to learn how to create a basic escape game using flash.

Flash is a software development tool that is used to make almost all types of online animation and games these days, and learning how to make a simple espcape game can be a brilliant way introduction to it - I should know, I started making escape games just over 2 years ago to teach myself flash, and now I work full time as a flash developer for a media company in london!

Anyway, if you are interested, I have posted the first of my tutorials on my website at http://www.powerabuse.co.uk

You can download a 30 day trial of flash for free from the adobe website, which should be more than enough time to decide whether or not you enjoy using the software!

Thanks Lazarou!

Comment

No worries, sorry if I spammed when trying to make this thread, took me three attempts at creating it before i realised that threads have to be approved by moderators before they appear in this forum... I just thought I was pressing the wrong button ;P

Hope that the guys on this site find my tutorials useful. If anyone has any questions or issues with anything in the tutorials, let me know (via my website) and I will do my best to help out. I havent written many tutorials before, and I am not quite sure the level of detail that I am expected to go into, I have tried to be informative, but not spoon feeding, But yeah, any feedback regarding the tuts is more than appreciated.

Cheers

Comment

great tut and site!
        I tried to create an account but all I got was a white page, dunno if I got the code wrong or something

Comment

Originally posted by nigec View Post
          great tut and site!
          I tried to create an account but all I got was a white page, dunno if I got the code wrong or something
          It was a problem with the forum, no users have been able to register for quite a while apparently. I have hopefully fixed it now, so feel free to post any questions or suggestions for future tutorials on there.

Comment

Hi mate ..well almost lol I never got the activation email, aint forums fun!

Comment

Great tutorial! I found another tut somewhere that is more basic and explains really everything for total noobs, but your tut goes a bit further! Like with the multipleroom-needle-baloon-hammer-vase&painting things. Nice work!
              With this people could really make quality escape games.

One thing i miss, is beeing able to download the source file and take a closer look, but i guess you can't get everything you want.
              Last edited by Go_on; 07-25-2009, 16:52:03.

Comment

Originally posted by nigec View Post
                Hi mate ..well almost lol I never got the activation email, aint forums fun!
                I looked into this, and apparently your activation mail got bounced back from the address you entered. If you still want to, feel free to register again.

Originally posted by Go_on View Post
                Great tutorial! I found another tut somewhere that is more basic and explains really everything for total noobs, but your tut goes a bit further! Like with the multipleroom-needle-baloon-hammer-vase&painting things. Nice work!
                With this people could really make quality escape games.

One thing i miss, is beeing able to download the source file and take a closer look, but i guess you can't get everything you want.
                I debated whether to post these or not, but in the end I decided not to. The tutorials are all about teaching you the principles about how it all works so you can create your own games, providing the fla for many users would just mean they would play around with it, change the graphics a bit, change some of the text, but not fully understand the code or how it works.

Comment

Okay... I finally managed to assemble something that looks like an escape game. It's very much thanks to this tutorial and I am glad you took the time and trouble to make it, Lazarou. Now all I gotta do is see if I can make the comment thingies work too.... oh dear *puts on another pink wig and prepares to tear hair *

STILL struddling

sigpic

PURPLE HELL is back and burning!! See you there!

Comment

Point and click games are so called Adventure games.
                    I like them but this genre is death for over 15 years.

But if you tell me how hard is to make this kind of games i would try it.
                    Is it hard, like what skills i need?

Comment

I don't think they are dead, there are still many point and click games produced and played - they are just not the main target of the official game development industry.

Comment

A simple tutorial-uses variables. Escape Game Tutorial running ad-blocking plug-ins can't unlock medals or post scores in most of our games. All in all it's a good tutorial, can you make one abou how to add an idea to an inventory box? I think that it works with Macromedia Flash 8, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Kzin; 05-09-2015, 07:50:31. Reason: removed sig

Comment

How to create an escape game a series of flash tutorials

I tried this a while ago and found it to be frustratingly buggy. Not sure how far they have progressed. Great idea though, and based on an extremely fun game with no real modern equivalent.

Comment

I tried this a while ago and found it to be frustratingly buggy. Not sure how far they have progressed. Great idea though, and based on an extremely fun game with no real modern equivalent.

Comment

This is an intelligent and well-written advice article - thanks Jetrel. It sometimes seems to me that you and the Wesnoth art team are almost writing the manual on how to form a successful collaborative art team in an Open Source environment. While its been forever and a day since I contributed any art to the game myself, its a fascinating process to watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X