A Little Ferret Thief
    OLGM Lilliput, OLM Escapegirl, OLD Darknight and OLB George
    Member of GFARDTO and the Looney Bin
    OHOHOH!! Check it out:
    My city: http://taesana.myminicity.com/
    Pretty Please!!!!! Please, please, please!!! I'll even beg *gets on knees*

Comment

Your Country, Your World, Your Life

At Gamershood are many people of all around the world. So here is the idea:

If you want you could tell us how general life is in your country. This could be: politic, todays news, traditions, habits, holidays, a general opion about something and your opion about it, but also a regular day of your life (school, work, private). Whatever is typical or specific of your life and/or in your country. Or if you have a particular question about something in a specific country or place? Here is the thread to ask.

Why this idea for this thread? Because it's funny and also interesting how the most normal looking daily things could be different to many people on this earth.

So everything clear? Then let us start.

About everyone know that I am from the Netherlands (Holland). First let some things out of the world:

- There aren't that many tulip fields in Holland. I never have seen one.
      The tulip isn't a real Dutch flower but is imported from Turkey around
      1100??? en became then very popular in Holland.

- We do have some mills but onlly here and there spread over the country. Most of them are not in use anymore and many are in bad shape.

- Dutch are just like Scrooge? No not in general, but for many people money is more important then is good for them.

- All the Dutch peolpe wearing wooden shoes? No, when you wearing them, people are looking/staring at you. Only a handfull of people swear by them and yes they are most of the times from a farmer's family.

- In the Netherlands you can legally smoke weed? No, but in some sort of way it's allowed, when you are 18 years old. But it isn't really tolerated in the daily life (you can't smoke in public).It is only allowed to sell weed in a legal coffeeshop with licence for it. There is a maxium for each customer. And you are somehow allowed to grow 4 plants in your own garden. Inside growth is forbidden under all circumstances.

- Dutches eat raw fish? Yes herring and smoked salmone, HMMMMM!!!

Well, that is all for today now. Hope you liked it. Maybe then I tell you some day more about my country, my world, my life.

Greetings from Holland.

EDIT:
      Hi best members.
      Because new threads with topics ass "were do you live" etc. have been put in the bin, I talked with Eternal Becky about to making a poll inside this thread. We have come to an agreement and the result is showed on the first page. I hope you like it.
      Last edited by Adventure; 08-26-2006, 23:42:50.
      Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

i get up, go to work, come home, clean the house and go to bed. everyday.
        http://pitbullsaviour.deviantart.com/
        http://www.myspace.com/pitbull_saviour

Comment

Originally posted by Jellybean
          i get up, go to work, come home, clean the house and go to bed. everyday.
          In what country do you life, what for work do you do en do you like it? Do you have kids, what about the weekends? And are there no very cool or stupid traditions in your country or in the place you life?
          Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

Hey...here's a bit of my life...
            I wake up, with my mom yelling at me because it's late and all that stuff...
            I go to school, which is FULL of stupid kids...the boys only talk about football and the girls only talk about make-up...their conversations are very very interesting, don't you think?
            In classes, the students talk and the teacher listens...
            When i come back home, my mom makes dinner (and, obviously, i have to help...)
            I spend my free time playing computer, reading or going for bike rides with friends, it's pretty cool actually!!!
            In weekends.....bah...I HATE WEEKENDS!!! And I'll tell you why....I spend the all Saturday cleaning the house!!! And there's nothing to do on Sundays ...the funniest thing I do is staring at the walls ...pfffft...

I don't think there are many traditions, at least, not where i live...
            Well...it can be a stupid country....but it's VERY VERY BEAUTIFUL!!! And that's why i like Portugal, because of its beauty!
            Last edited by doglover; 11-25-2006, 17:31:28.
            Going on a trip around the universe on a convertible

Comment

i live in the idiot country america, i'm an administrative assistant, the job is ok, can't have kids, weekends i do lawn work, and no, there are no tradions. my husband and i go to a pow wow once in awhile.

Comment

I have a pretty boring life in a boring town in America. Every day is different in my life, because we aren't on a time sechdule, because I am homeschooled. I am in danger all the time, because if social services find out about us we (my siblings and i) could be taken away from Mom and Dad, because we don't get up in the morning and go to one of the idiot public schools in Maryland. (Seriously the schools here aren't that great). I think that greatest mistake in Amereica is the education services. There is nothing good I can say about them.

A Little Ferret Thief
                OHOHOH!! Check it out:

Comment

Originally posted by Jess
                  I have a pretty boring life in a boring town in America. Every day is different in my life, because we aren't on a time sechdule, because I am homeschooled. I am in danger all the time, because if social services find out about us we (my siblings and i) could be taken away from Mom and Dad, because we don't get up in the morning and go to one of the idiot public schools in Maryland. (Seriously the schools here aren't that great). I think that greatest mistake in Amereica is the education services. There is nothing good I can say about them.
                  That sounds really heavy, Jess. If I understand correctly it isn't allowed to be homeschooled. You must go a public school and otherwise there will be great consequences. That sounds really idiotic (not you, the government). But I am not sure how that sort of thing is arranged in Holland. Everybody here have compulsory education (duty to learn) untill the age of 16. Now they are thinking of changing it to 18. I am really glad that I already have gone through this. Only learning what I want and of course only if I want.
                  Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure
                    That sounds really heavy, Jess. If I understand correctly it isn't allowed to be homeschooled. You must go a public school and otherwise there will be great consequences. That sounds really idiotic (not you, the government). But I am not sure how that sort of thing is arranged in Holland. Everybody here have compulsory education (duty to learn) untill the age of 16. Now they are thinking of changing it to 18. I am really glad that I already have gone through this. Only learning what I want and of course only if I want.
                    That also happens in Portugal. All the teenagers that are less than 16 have to go to school. Actually, I agree with that... If you don't study, you might have serious problems when you're older (when you need to get a job)!
                    Going on a trip around the universe on a convertible

Comment

I aggree. Study is a good thing. But if you head is full of other stuff, it can be really a pain in the ass (sorry for the expression). I really disliked school when I was a teenager and dropped school as soon as possible, but when I was about 20 I did found what I really wanted and I have gone back to school and choose a study I really liked. If there is no motivation for school, I think you don't learn much and is a sort of wasted time (of course you always learn someting of it).

But I am still curious of private school is forbidden in Maryland/USA.
                      Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

No there are two private schools in town. Homeschooling is not illegal, but everyone thinks it is.

A Little Ferret Thief
                        OHOHOH!! Check it out:

Comment

Originally posted by Jess
                          No there are two private schools in town. Homeschooling is not illegal, but everyone thinks it is.
                          I thought the problem with the social services were that you and your consanguinity are being homeschooled. Why are you then in danger Jess?
                          Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

It is a long and complicated story

A Little Ferret Thief
                            OHOHOH!! Check it out:

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure
                              I am really sorry to hear that. Are they still any threat options? Or can it be stabilized with medicine? The hubby of one of my best friends has also cancer. So far it can be somehow stabilized and now they are trying a new cure/medicine (it's not tested before), which give maybe new prospects.
                              I did surch pow wow with google and it sounds good fun. If I ever have the change to see it, I will go.
                              i've had this converstion before in chit-chat, if you want check out the first page of it.

Comment

My life is a big adventure! Well, I came from Malaysia, and traveled here with my family. So then I was so happy. But it ruined until my cousins tell me there's_gulps_ghosts! I didn't believe them though.

Then I'm going to start with the country in Asia, Malaysia(Cool! That rhymes!). First thing, we have a ton of cousins, but one of them stayed here in America. We use the language Malay. It's almost like a paradise, ALMOST! Because there is a lot of robbing and stuff like that. My mom took us to the embassy on Saturdays, usually if she comes home from meetings early. We went to their pool. I'm a little kid by then, like 6 or 7. I'm turning nine this November. My malay friend who lives in America says that my birthday is full moon. I could share you some of my pictures when I'm little but I don't know how.

Anyway, here in america, I entitle myself as Gizmo Girl, since I'm the one who knows how to use computers, in my family (Not trying to brag here!). Once, when we went to chocolate world we had an accident IN summer vacation. But I had great friends, still. Some from Malaysia, some from America. So my friends I email them to get together. So if I was to write a quote, I would say "Friends stick together whoever they are and wherever they are."

But, like you guys, even though I don't get to see how you look like, you guys are great!

I am an elite member of GFARTDO

I am the witch of GH planet!!

Also french partner of HeartoftheDark

Comment

Working...
                                X