X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadowreign

Things To Know
    NPCs with yellow circles under them are quest givers.
    NPCs with blue circles under them will save your game.
    NPCs with purple circles under them are shops.
    You stop gaining talent points at level 50.
    Always buy the best gear from shops when you have the money.
    If you give an incorrect answer to a riddle you can't answer again.
    Shadowgates spawn groups of enemies for every 25% of health they lose.
    If you talk to the sage south of the second town, and do his quest before destroying the two shadowgates north of the town you will not be able to get the next quest preventing you from completing the game.

Walkthrough
    I use east, south, west, and north followed by a number to indicate that you should move that many screens in that direction. You'll find talent suggestions at the bottom of this guide.

Area 1
    Walk right, and talk to the quest giver on the map to receive a bow. Move east 2 through the town killing all enemies on your way. Talk to the quest giver, head west 1, and talk to the quest giver there. Go west 1, north 1, east 3, south 2, and west 3 making a circle around the town. Kill all enemies, and destroy all gates on your way. Head back to the two quest givers you visited before picking up another from the one in the center of town. Make your way east 1, north 1, and west 1. Defeat the enemies there, and head back to the quest giver in the center of town. Go 2 south to exit town.

Riddlers
    At this point I suggest visiting the three riddlers in the game. Answering their riddles correctly will give you exp, a talent point, and an item and/or some gold. Doing this now will give you a significant advantage for the rest of the game.

Locations:
    Riddler 1 - 5 squares south of the north-western most square on the map.
    Riddler 2 - 5 squares east of the north-western most square on the map.
    Riddler 3- The south-eastern most square located on the map.

Riddler 1:
    Q: In our calendar some months have 30 days, and some months have 31. How many months have 28 days?

Riddler 2:
    Q: In a bag there are 32 green gems, and 32 red gems. How many gems would you have to remove to ensure you got two different gems?

Riddler 3:
    Q: If a third of six is three; what would half of twenty be?

Area 2
    If you went to the riddlers head back to where you left off in area 1. Talk to the quest giver here, and go west 1 to find another quest giver. Upon approaching him he will disappear, and you'll have to fight 4 enemies. Defeat them, then return to the quest giver east 1 to receive your reward. Head south one into a camp. Speak to the quest giver, then continue south 1 into town. Defeat all the enemies here, and all the enemies you find 1 screen east and west of here as well. Return to the camp north of town to turn in your quest. To the east and west of the camp you'll find shadowgates. Destroy then, then head to the center of this town (where the inn is). Speak to the quest giver, then head south 2 screens. Talk to the quest giver south 1 along your way.

Area 3
    Speak to the sage (quest giver) here, then make your way to the areas located east 2, and west 2 of this location to find 2 Sorcerers. Defeat them, and return to the sage for your reward. Head north 2 to the second town to find it in shambles. Talk to the quest giver, and then go north 1, east 2, north 2 to find a well. Approach the well to receive a toy sword. Go back to the center of town, and travel west 2 to face your first boss. After defeating him return to talk to the sage. Stop by the quest giver north 1 of the sage to give him the toy sword.

Area 4
    Travel north 3 then east 3 to reach the final city. Speak to the quest giver here, then head east 1 to find another quest giver. After speaking with the second quest giver head east 1, north 2, then west 3. Kill the captain here, then continue south 4, and east 1 to find another camp with another captain. Kill this one, and head east 2 to find the crazy old man. Speak to him, then return to the quest giver in the center of the third town. Then make your way south 1, and west 1 of the crazy old man. Kill the Mind Reaver, then return to the old man. Go back to the screen where the Mind Reaver was, and destroy the shadowgate there. You find a second east 2 of the old man. After destroying the second one go back to the old man. West 2, and south 1 of the old man you'll find a Sorcerer. Another is found east 1, and south 1 from the old man. Defeat them both, and go back to the old man to receive a quest to defeat another boss. The boss is found east 2, 1 north of the old man. Defeat him, speak to the old man one last time, then head to the area 1 north of the save/shop in the third town.

Area 5
    Speak to the quest giver, head west 1 and speak to the quest giver there. You'll find a shadowgate heading north out of town, and 2 more on the screens to either side. Destroy them, and return to the last quest giver you visited. Go to the northern exit of town to find several enemies there. Defeat them all, then return again to the last quest giver. You're told to go east 1 to revisit the quest giver there. Do so then go north 3.

Keepers of Light
    Here you'll find a well and sign encircled by 12 stumps. Approaching the sign reveals the following riddle:

"Only the brave and clever will find what they seek."
    First comes seventeen, but it is by that name only at night.
    Second comes the halfway mark of beginning to end.
    Last comes the third quarter of half of the whole.

Solution:

Once you solve the riddle a man who calls him a Keeper of Light appears. He asks that you travel west to find a blue flower surrounded by a horde of Shadowspawn. You have to figure out how to obtain the flower by walking over it, and then return it to him.

Easy method to obtain flower:

Upon returning to the keeper he gives you the first piece of the Shadowslayer set. Travel to the south-east screen of the lake to find the second Keeper. He tells you his lake has been taken over by the shadow. Destroy all the enemies around the lake, and return to the Keeper to receive the second piece of the Shadowslayer set. Make your way to the sage from area 3 in this guide to discover he is in fact one of the Keepers. Go to inn in the second town to be ambushed by shadow stalkers. Once you've dispatched of them accordingly they will drop the third piece of the set. Return to the sage. You'll find several stealthed enemies on screens that previously had none so be aware. Make your way to the screen south of where the old man used to be. Speak to the pile of bones to discover it's the fourth Keeper. Go to the log on the screen to find the fourth piece of the set. Once you do this the fifth Keeper appears. Speak to him to discover the final piece to the set has been stolen. Head north 1, west 1 to find a boss. Defeat him for the final piece, return to the fifth Keeper, and then go back to where you found the first Keeper to find the hero of old. Approach him and he'll give you 1 of four weapons. Select the one best suited to you, and save your game.

Final Battle
    You want to save your game now, because you aren't given an opportunity to do so once you defeat the final boss. When you're ready to face him go to the north-eastern most screen to find the final shadowgate. The only notable difference about this gate is that it spawns larger waves of enemies, and upon its destruction the final boss appears in its place. After you defeat him the screen fades, and you're presented with the epilogue to the story. Congratulations! You've beaten the game.
    Last edited by Mistery; 12-03-2009, 21:24:29. Reason: Reopend on request, as poster would like to add to it
    Some people just don't understand that the "best" way isn't always the right way.
    Not everyone plays games to win; some people just want to have fun.
    That doesn't mean that winning isn't fun, and I personally find it very rewarding.
    It simply means that there's more to a game than winning.

Talent Analysis
    I usually play RPGs extensively whenever I get the opportunity; Shadowreign is no exception to this. I've played through the game from start to end at least 6 times, and have tested every talent in the game. Here I'll give a brief explanation of how useful I find each talent.

There are three things I look for in a talent when I make a build.
    1: Spammablity - Auto-attacks are not interrupted by skills so I look for a set of skills that can be chained together near-endlessly for maximum dps.
    2: Survivability - You can't very well deal damage if you're dead. Having talents that help keep you alive are just as important as those that deal damage.
    3: Crowd Control (CC) - Even if you have all the defenses in the game you're not going to live long if you're being mobbed by everything on-screen at once. These skills help give you control over a situation so that this doesn't happen.

Gladiator Talents
    This tree has the best defensive talents in the game along with what I consider the most powerful, and versatile tier 4 talent. Every one of my builds has included many of the talents from this tree.

Fortify
    Type - Survival Passive
    Fortify is great at mitigating damage enemies deal to you. Even when playing ranged classes I grab this on my way to Battle Aura.

Bash
    Type - Offensive CC
    Bash is a nice addition to any melee build. It deals damage to your target, and stuns it for 2 sec.

Fire Fists
    Type - Offensive Buff
    This is a great melee buff. You can keep it on constantly, and it provides a nice increase to your damage output.

Recovery
    Type - Survival Passive
    Like Fortify this is a great skill regardless of your build. Increasing your regeneration helps keep you alive.

Warrior's Spirit
    Type - Stat Boost
    I only use the +stat talents if I need points to get to a higher tier. You get enough +stats from your gear. There's only 1 Spirit that I find worth putting points in, and it's not in this tree.

Paralyzing Swing
    Type - CC Passive
    If you're playing melee this can be a great skill. It procs more than often enough.

Terrifying Shout
    Type - Offensive Debuff
    You have to be in melee range to cast this so it's not as effective for a caster, but it has great potential against boss fights.

Titan Swing
    Type - Offensive Spammable
    Comparable to Shadow Strike. If you're going melee, and you need a skill to use while your others are on cool down choose either one depending on which suits your build better.

Aftermath
    Type - Offensive Passive
    This skill has great potential. The only concern is critting again before it's had time to deal any damage, but combined with an aoe it can dish out lots of damage.

Whirlwind
    Type - Offensive AoE
    This is the melee AoE ability. If you're going melee it works well in a rotation.

Life Steal
    Type - Survival Passive
    This skill is really only useful if you can deal lots of damage in a short amount of time. Even when maxed it only gives 3 hp for every 100 you deal.

Battle Aura
    Type - Survival Offensive Passive
    This skill is simply awesome. All of my builds grab this skill for the auto-aspd increase alone. The other two effects are simply icing.

Assassin Talents
    By far the Assassin talents are the worst. Most of the skills are either unnecessary or simply don't work well enough to use. It does have a few gems though.

Killing Spree
    Type - Offensive Passive
    If you want crit from a talent this is the only one you need. When maxed it gives you the same amount of crit that 37.5 agi would give.

Anticipation
    Type - Survival Passive
    Only consider this if you're going melee, and even then it's not really necessary.

Dead Eye
    Type - Offensive Passive
    As already mentioned the only crit from talents you need is from Killing Spree. Save your points for more valuable skills.

Shadow Strike
    As said before this is analogous to Titan Swing. In most cases I recommend this over Titan Swing, because it helps you waste less points getting to the useful Assassin skills.

Stalker's Spirit
    Type - Offensive Boost
    This is the only spirit worth its weight. It adds more damage per point than any of the other spirits, and it works for all damage types. If you have any points left after other talents this is where they go.

Backstab
    Type - Offensive Semi-Spammable
    This skill is semi-spammable, because it requires you to be behind your target making it situational. Backstab has the highest base damage of any skill, and it shows. This skill doesn't work well with the Assassin stuns, but works wonders combined with Bash.

Stealth
    Type - Survival Offensive
    Worthless. It might sound awesome to be able to sneak by all your enemies, but all of the abilities the abilities that rely on this skill are horrible. This skill can not be cast in combat (understandable).

Incapacitate
    Type - Offensive CC
    As I said, all skills that rely on stealth are bad skills. I first thought that this skill would be awesome with backstab. 15 sec stun would give a lot of backstabs. I quickly learned otherwise. Any damage to the target breaks the stun making this skill nothing more than a glorified Dazzle that takes 3 points to be as effective.

Soul Link
    Type - Survival Passive
    This skill provides incredible regeneration. With decent base regeneration most single enemies won't be able to hurt you with this active.

Blade Flurry
    Type - Offensive Buff
    This skill is downright ugly. You can destroy any group of enemies within seconds when it's active. Its only drawback is the 60 sec cool down.

Malice
    Type - Offensive Passive
    f you like Backstab you'll love Malice. Backstab is already the highest base damage skill, and when it crits it hurts. Malice makes sure it hurts.

Blink Strike
    Type - Offensive CC
    It doesn't say it, but this skill requires stealth to use so you'll only ever get to use it at the start of combat. If it didn't require stealth it'd be a decent skill, but since it does it makes it the worst tier 4 ability in the game.

Warder Talents
    By far my favorite tree. It has both the best CC, and the best AoE in the game.

Hunter's Pursuit
    Type - Survival Passive
    Not a great skill. If you absolutely must move faster get it, but it's a pointless skill if you use Nature's Grasp.

Sylvan Touch
    Type - Survial
    I've never needed healing spells, and hardly ever need potions except for a few builds in the early game. Additionally I don't think any of the healing spells heal enough to be worth it.

Steady Shot
    Type - Offensive
    I don't really like this skill. I usually spend my time casting Scorpion Bite on all my enemies when my better skills are on cool down, but if you like this skill use it.

Nature's Grasp
    Type - CC
    Best crowd control in the game for Warders and Arcanists. Fast cast with no cool down makes it so you can keep this skill active on several enemies at once. While active no enemy in the game can move as fast as you making you practically invincible.

Spirit of the Grove
    Type - Stat Boost
    Another worthless spirit. As mentioned before, though, if you need points to get to higher tier abilities put them here. Otherwise leave it alone.

[B]Stalker's Fury[/B
    Type - Offensive Buff
    You honestly don't need this skill if you get Killing Spree, but I would rather put points here than Spirit of the Grove if you need to.

Mongoose
    Type - Survival
    Not that great. If you get swarmed it could be useful, but that shouldn't happen unless, of course, you're doing it wrong.

Scorpion Bite
    Type - Offensive Semi-Spammable
    Another semi-spammable ability only because you don't want to spam it. It's a dot, and like any other dot needs at least 3 seconds to deal any damage. That said, it's very easy to spam it on a group of enemies via tab-targetting.

Nature's Recovery
    Type - Survival
    As before I've never really needed healing spells. If I don't need healing spells why would I need to boost their effectiveness?

Blessing of the Wind
    Type - Survival Offensive Buff
    It's only 1 point, and the bonus energy regen can make your life a little easier. The only Warder skill that receives benefit from this is Steady Shot. The other Warder skills with cast times have cool downs.

Explosive Shot
    Type - Offensive AoE
    The best AoE in the game, because it can be cast at range.

Shadow Shot
    Type - Survival Offensive
    One of two skills that pull enemies. If you're going Warder you want this skill. Invaluable when fighting gate groups.
    Last edited by Meonius; 12-03-2009, 23:49:38.
    Some people just don't understand that the "best" way isn't always the right way.
    That doesn't mean that winning isn't fun, and I personally find it very rewarding.

Comment

Arcane Talents
      I was pleasantly surprised by how powerful this tree can be using just a couple of damage skills from it.

Scorch
      This is the Arcanist's spammable ability. Half of its damage is a dot, but you'll get more use out of it simply by spamming it. Against groups you can tab-target to dot all of the enemies in the group.

Focused Mind
      Type - Survival
      Spamming abilities can take a lot out of your energy. This skill helps greatly in keeping your energy up.

Dazzle
      Type - CC
      Although in the Arcane tree, it's better used by a Gladiator or Assassin. Nature's Grasp is a far better choice for a Warder or Arcanist.

Recall
      Type - Utility
      The only utility talent. Has no purpose in combat (can't be cast in combat), and is honestly just a waste of a talent. If you're impatient, or want to try and get through the game as fast as possible grab it. Otherwise the point is better put elsewhere.

Wizard's Spirit
      Type - Stat Boost
      No different than the Gladiator or Warder spirit skills. Only put points here if you need them to get to other skills.

Refresh
      Type - Survival
      Another healing spell. As with the others I see little use for it.

Blinkstep
      Type - Survival
      Can get you out of hazardous situations, but I never needed it.

Energy Nova
      Type - Offensive AoE
      Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but as far as I know a Mage in melee is worm food. Although I found little use for this as an Arcanist it has great potential when combined with Whirlwind, or used as part of a melee build.

Mind Race
      Type - Offensive Passive
      Faster cast makes spamming scorch more powerful. If making an Arcanist/Warder hybrid you could couple this with Blessing of the Wind for even more faster cast speed.
      Malicious Intent
      Type - Offensive Passive Buff
      Malicious indeed. An incredible 30% bonus to your damage after you crit for 5 sec. If you do the math on that you'll soon realize that this is a near-permanent boost by the end of the game.

Siphon Energy
      Type - Offensive Survival
      Useful skill. I'd only put 1 point in this skill, though. Any more is excessive, and a waste of points.

Arcane Pulse
      Type - Survival Offensive CC
      The other pulling skill. As with shadow Shot this is invaluable against gate groups. Additionally it also stuns every enemy making it that much better.

That pretty much sums up my take on all of the talents in the game. Additionally I'd like to point out that for a Warder, or maybe even an Arcanist, the Shadowslayer set may not be your best choice of gear. The benefit of the Shadowslayer set is its well-rounded stats, and generous +HP stat. As ranged classes you hardly need that extra HP, and as a Warder the only stat that's of real value to you at that point in the game is agi. Finding the best +agi gear out there can add significant power to your arrows. As for Arcanists it'd probably be safer to split between foc and agi gear since they still need some crit.

Talent Builds
      As already mentioned I've played through the game many times, and have had great success with certain builds. Here I'll list 4 of the best builds I've made.

The Tank - Gladiator/Assassin
      The tank was my first approach to a melee build. I focused on stun, and hp regen.

Gladiator Talents
      Recovery - 5/5
      Fortify - 3/3
      Bash - 1/1
      Fire Fists - 1/1
      Paralyzing Swing - 3/3
      Aftermath - 3/3
      Whirlwind - 1/1
      Life Steal - 3/3
      Battle Aura - 1/1

Assassin Talents
      Killing Spree - 2/2
      Anticipation - 3/3
      Shadow Strike - 1/1
      Stalker's Spirit - 4/x (4 points to reach tier abilities, once finished with the build pump this skill)
      Backstab - 1/1
      Soul Link - 1/1
      Blade Flurry - 3/3
      Malice - 3/3

Arcane Talents
      Dazzle - 1/1

Your first 4 points go into fire fists, bash, shadow strike, and Dazzle. Then focus on the Gladiator tree before the Assassin tree. A pretty straight-forward build. If you're fast enough you can get 2 backstabs off after a bash. Use bash, whirlwind, and shadow strike while they're on cool-down. With Blade Flurry active you can kill all 3 waves from the final gate in seconds.

Rapid Fire Archer - Warder/Gladiator
      This was my first build. It took me some time to settle on the skills I liked, but in the end it turned out to be a great build.

Gladiator Talents
      Fortify - 3/3
      Recovery - 5/5
      Warrior's Spirit - 2/x
      Aftermath - 3/3
      Life Steal - 2/3
      Battle Aura - 1/1

Assassin Talents
      Killing Spree - 2/2
      Stalker's Spirit - x/x Pump after all other talents are finished.

Warder Talents
      Nature's Grasp - 1/1
      Spirit of the Grove - 8/x Needed to reach higher tier abilities.
      Stalker's Fury - 3/3
      Scorpion Bite - 1/1
      Explosive Shot - 1/1
      Blessing of the Wind - 1/1
      Shadow Shot - 1/1

This build is the most complex of my builds, because it employs a different strategy for each type of fight.
      Solo Enemies - Cast Mature's Grasp + Scorpion Bite, then auto-attack.
      Gates - Chain Scorpion Bite on all enemies, cast Explosive Shot when it's not on cool down, and when the enemies get close fire off a shadow shot at the gate.
      Arenas - Some fights are closed off in an arena. Early game this can be deadly. Simply cast Scorpion Bite on all of the enemies, then run around refreshing the dot when you need to.

The Pyromaniac - Arcane/Gladiator
      My preferred Arcane build.

Gladiator Talents
      Fortify - 3/3
      Recovery - 3/3
      Warrior's Spirit - 2/x
      Aftermath - 3/3
      Life Steal - 2/3
      Battle Aura - 1/1

Assassin Talents
      Killing Spree - 2/2
      Stalker's Spirit - x/x Pump after all other talents are finished.

Warder Talents
      Nature's Grasp - 1/1

Arcane Talents
      Scorch - 1/1
      Focused Mind - 5/5
      Wizard's Spirit - 4/x
      Mind Race - 3/3
      Malicious Intent - 3/3
      Siphon Energy - 1/5
      Arcane Pulse - 1/1

Your first 2 points go into Scorch, and Nature's Grasp. Max Focused Mind, Killing Spree, and then focus on the Gladiator talents before the Arcane talents. Essentially you just cast Nature's Grasp on everything, then spam scorch on it until it dies. When fighting gates use Arcane Pulse to pull enemies away from you, and use Siphon Energy when you run low on energy.

Master of Destruction - Gladiator/Assassin/Acane
      This is probably my favorite build. It takes the best skills from the Gladiator, Assassin, and Arcane trees, and combines them to make an extremely powerful character. I've managed to get a 536 damage crit with this build.

Gladiator Talents
      Fortify - 3/3
      Recovery - 5/5
      Fire Fists - 1/1
      Paralyzing Swing - 3/3
      Aftermath - 3/3
      Whirlwind - 1/1
      Life Steal - 3/3
      Battle Aura - 1/1

Assassin Talents
      Killing Spree - 2/2
      Stalker's Spirit - 13/x
      Soul Link - 1/1

Arcane Talents
      Focused Mind - 5/5
      Wizard's Spirit - 4/x
      Energy Nova - 1/1
      Siphon Energy - 2/3
      Malicious Intent - 3/3
      Arcane Pulse 1/1

This build is not a viable starting build. You should start the game making 'The Tank,' then switch over about halfway through the game. This build focuses around dealing the most AoE damage possible. You should rotate Energy Nova, and Whirlwind as quickly as possible. Use Arcane Pulse to group all enemies on screen, and to give you a momentary pause from being beaten on. Siphon Energy is a must. Even with Focused Mind your energy struggles to stay up.

The combination of Fortify, Paralyzing Swing, Life Steal, Soul Link, and Battle Aura gives you a ton of survivability, and you have insane HP regeneration.

Fire Fists, Aftermath, Killing Spree, Malicious Intent, and Stalker's Spirit boost your damage a ton. Your non-crit normal attacks should be in the mid 200's, and your aoes will deal mid 100's to all targets without critting.

That's it for builds. If you follow any of these you're guaranteed to have an easy time beating the game. In all I found that Shadowreign is pretty fun in light of the many bugs, and I enjoyed replaying it many times to test different builds. I only wish it was longer.

Comment

Working...
      X