Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cats

are they colour blind?

I dont think they see colours like us. But they see them alright. I know for a fact cos my cat says so. yep. !!!!!KITTY CATS OMG!!!!!!

Comment

The eyes of the cat, comparing to humans, have much more rod cells but much less cone cells. Rods cells are very sensitive for light but can't see colors. Only the cone cells can perceive colors, but they do need enough bright light perform at their best. So cats do see colors but their color spectrum is limited.

Behind the retina layer with the cones and rods cats (and dogs, deers, etc, but not humans) have a special layer (tapetum lucidum) that reflects the light that falls into the eye. Because of the tapetum lucidum the retina get a double dose light. This, and presence of the many rods cells, is why cats see so well at night.
      The tapetum lucidum is also responsible for the "glowing pupils". When a bright light in the dark shines on the retina, and with that also on the tapetum lucidum, the light is being reflected. Because it's dark, this reflection of light is clearly visible.
      Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

You are going to be a great veterinarian-assistant
        Thanks for the explanation
        From now on, this is how it is going to be, just her and me
        sigpic

Comment

You're welcome. And thank you.

I am not sure what colors cats can see and not see, though. But I am sure there are many scientific articles to find on the net about this subject.

edit: wikipedia has some info about it
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_senses#Sight
          Cats can see some colors, and can tell the difference between red, blue and yellow lights, as well as between red and green lights.[3] Cats are able to distinguish between blues and violets better than between colours near the red end of the spectrum.[4][5]
          Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

Cats can only see blue, red and yellow. Kitty cats rock!!!!!!!!

Comment

oh its great

Yes, you are right!

Comment

agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure View Post
                  The eyes of the cat, comparing to humans, have much more rod cells but much less cone cells. Rods cells are very sensitive for light but can't see colors. Only the cone cells can perceive colors, but they do need enough bright light perform at their best. So cats do see colors but their color spectrum is limited.

Behind the retina layer with the cones and rods cats (and dogs, deers, etc, but not humans) have a special layer (tapetum lucidum) that reflects the light that falls into the eye. Because of the tapetum lucidum the retina get a double dose light. This, and presence of the many rods cells, is why cats see so well at night.
                  The tapetum lucidum is also responsible for the "glowing pupils". When a bright light in the dark shines on the retina, and with that also on the tapetum lucidum, the light is being reflected. Because it's dark, this reflection of light is clearly visible.

dog treats recipes

I want to study this type of information. but its not enough for "cat" ,if there are more information of cat's or dog relevnt then explain here. I my research there are maximum red cell in cat eyes and other cell are just in a few quantity.
                  but there are so many colors in cats eyes..................

dog treats recipes
                  Last edited by Willson; 11-10-2012, 17:24:38.
                  dog treats recipes

Comment

Working...
                  X