Thread: Hot Stuff!!!

Edgewood,New Mexico,almost 7000 feet above sea level

Cool Hot Stuff!!!

I'm an aficionado of salsas & hot sauces (good thing too,I live in New Mexico,the heart of chile country! ) & since I perfected my salsa recipe a few years ago I've grown chiles & tomatoes for it.Sadly,this year none of my jalapeños & red chiles did well,dunno if it was too much water or a fungus or,more likely,I used the wrong soil.I do container gardening even though we live on 2.5 acres due to the fact that it always freezes in May!!! *grumble* That way I can cover the pots when the temp drops.

But my cayenne peppers are doing very well,they just started ripening up nicely.Last year was the 1st time I grew them & they did well so I dehydrated them,cleaned them & put them in an old coffee grinder to make cayenne powder that smells & tastes sooo much better than store bought,mmmmm

So I've decided I'm going to make homemade Tabasco sauce,looked up some recipes & it looks fairly easy to make,tho it does involve letting it sit for anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months & can continue to ferment (real Tabasco is fermented for 3 years).

Interesting thing about cayennes,they like a LOT more water than jalapeños or green/red chiles,as much as tomatoes.

Hope it turn out well,I have several friends who like hot stuff too.

Every year I go to the National Fiery Foods & Barbeque Show to have my mouth & innards seared into insensibility & usually come away with 2 backpacks full of stuff.My wife complains,but I just tell her to shut up & carry the damn things (I'M JOKING!!!!! )
    The show originated in Albuquerque,but several years ago the promoters decided that Albuquerque was too much of a hick town for such a high-falutin' show so they moved it to San Francisco (cue paraphased the Pace line: "San Francisco? Get a rope" ).
    Well gee,San Fran not being known as chile hotspot (pun intended),the promoters & vendors lost their asses,so they moved it back here & now it pulls in thousands of people & $$$ every year.

Factoids: chiles are native to the New World,they're a member of the nightshade family which also includes potatos & tomatoes.
    Chile seeds are spread by birds,who have no capsacium receptors so they can't feel the heat.

Anybody else like hot stuff?
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

I just made a batch of shrimp & fish ceviche, used our home-grown tomatoes & chiles.

I love it when I give it to people who've never had it: "Whaddaya mean it ain't cooked?!?"
    "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

not cooked ?

i guess i would pass on it too

The lemon & lime denature the proteins (there' some high-falutin' words ) just as well as cooking it, so the texture is like being cooked. It really is very good & I've had people try it & like it.

Me & the missus like sushi, we have no problem with good raw seafood, though we do prefer our shrimp cooked in some way, boiled or fried

I make a killer battered & fried shrimp, even make my own sauce

Mark Twain

I'm making my Chile Relleno Stuffed Chicken tonight, chicken breasts flattened & rolled around a green chile stuffed with Monterey jack cheese & the whole thing wrapped in bacon, then smothered in green chile tomatillo sauce

Mark Twain

Flying around in my tree, circling above a swimming manatee

That sounds delicious but also way tooooo hot for me
    From now on, this is how it is going to be, just her and me

Whenever someone asks me "Is this hot?" I always say "I'm the wrong person to ask, better ask my wife"

Mark Twain

Flying around in my tree, circling above a swimming manatee

From now on, this is how it is going to be, just her and me