Human Sheep!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human Sheep!!!

Scientists have created the world's first human-sheep chimera - which has the body of a sheep and half-human organs.

The sheep have 15 per cent human cells and 85 per cent animal cells - and their evolution brings the prospect of animal organs being transplanted into humans one step closer.

Professor Esmail Zanjani, of the University of Nevada, has spent seven years and ?5million perfecting the technique, which involves injecting adult human cells into a sheep's foetus.

He has already created a sheep liver which has a large proportion of human cells and eventually hopes to precisely match a sheep to a transplant patient, using their own stem cells to create their own flock of sheep.

The process would involve extracting stem cells from the donor's bone marrow and injecting them into the peritoneum of a sheep's foetus. When the lamb is born, two months later, it would have a liver, heart, lungs and brain that are partly human and available for transplant.

"We would take a couple of ounces of bone marrow cells from the patient,' said Prof Zanjani, whose work is highlighted in a Channel 4 programme tomorrow.

"We would isolate the stem cells from them, inject them into the peritoneum of these animals and then these cells would get distributed throughout the metabolic system into the circulatory system of all the organs in the body. The two ounces of stem cell or bone marrow cell we get would provide enough stem cells to do about ten foetuses. So you don't just have one organ for transplant purposes, you have many available in case the first one fails."

At present 7,168 patients are waiting for an organ transplant in Britain alone, and two thirds of them are expected to die before an organ becomes available.

Scientists at King's College, London, and the North East Stem Cell Institute in Newcastle have now applied to the HFEA, the Government's fertility watchdog, for permission to start work on the chimeras.

But the development is likely to revive criticisms about scientists playing God, with the possibility of silent viruses, which are harmless in animals, being introduced into the human race.

Dr Patrick Dixon, an international lecturer on biological trends, warned: "Many silent viruses could create a biological nightmare in humans. Mutant animal viruses are a real threat, as we have seen with HIV."

Animal rights activists fear that if the cells get mixed together, they could end up with cellular fusion, creating a hybrid which would have the features and characteristics of both man and sheep. But Prof Zanjani said: "Transplanting the cells into foetal sheep at this early stage does not result in fusion at all."

lAnimal Farm is on Channel 4 at 9pm tomorrow

Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Note: With me being a Furry...I felt like I should post it before anyone else =D
    Live in virtue no desire.
    And in the grave an angels' choir.
    You look to heaven, wonder why.
    No one can see them in the sky.
    Rammstein ~ Engel

I have a family ^.^,Wiro's my Brother,Crazy's my Mother,Hitman's my Father and Rannei's my Sister!

Posted to bring this topic into the readable area =D
    Live in virtue no desire.
    And in the grave an angels' choir.
    You look to heaven, wonder why.
    No one can see them in the sky.
    Rammstein ~ Engel

I have a family ^.^,Wiro's my Brother,Crazy's my Mother,Hitman's my Father and Rannei's my Sister!

Comment

W00t I will tell two guys from my school tommorow, We always call them sheeps becuz they both have blonde sheep hair
      Sumtimes we call them sheep and lamb, Cuz one of them is much taller than the other

Comment

interesting...
        How did they do it, and i dont think it will help because the organs have only part human cells. i mean, wont that be kind of different? have they tested it yet?
        Last edited by Jcatzl101; 10-03-2007, 01:13:47.
        Looney bin cat
        Less than 3 <3
        sigpic

The Rock Gods:
        -Muse
        -Coldplay
        -Paramore

Comment

Well jcatz stem cells are cells waiting for a function so if they take human stem cells i suppose that some part of the liver will be human and therefore be possible to be implanted into a human without trouble.... although it will take alot of time for them to get the process flawless

Comment

We talked about this in law class. It was in the paper that scientists figured out a way to take a dead rat heart, "clean" it of the rats cells and injected it with other cells with then multiplied until the heart started to beat again. The scientists had the blood circulating and when the heart started pumping again they reattached the system and the rat was alive again...I don't know if its brain was working but it's kinda creepy thinking they have figured out how to bring back to life dead things

We also talked about rats growing human ear in their back so we could just kill the rat and take the ears off for humans
            Sister Dia <3
            Elite Member of GFARDTO

Why Are YOU Worrying about You-Know-Who?
            You SHOULD Be Worrying About
            U-NO-POO -
            the CONSTIPATION SENSATION That's Gripping the Nation!

Why so Serious?

Comment

Thats... creepy... really creepy...who would want an ear grown from rats?
              Looney bin cat
              Less than 3 <3
              sigpic

The Rock Gods:
              -Muse
              -Coldplay
              -Paramore

Comment

I think I've heard somewhere about the ears growing on rats but that was a long time ago.
                Happy endings are just unfinished stories...

PandaMan

Elite member of the Looney Bin with ex wife "SimplyCrazy" and on-line kids "Wirodeu, Bread ...and Rannei"

sigpic

Comment

well we just talked about it in law a couple days ago cuz it fit well with our discussion. I dont know when they did it.
                  Sister Dia <3
                  Elite Member of GFARDTO

U-NO-POO -

Why so Serious?

Comment

ewwwwww a human sheep that is wierd
                    Online family:
                    Online bro: Point click man
                    Online dad:RC-10M
                    Online sis in law:Ratgirl

Comment

Its not really that bad...they just take a sheep heart (which is close to the human heart)..get rid of the sheep cells and add human cells then replace it in a human body. Ya its the heart from a sheep but it will be more human than sheep when they are done.
                      Sister Dia <3
                      Elite Member of GFARDTO

U-NO-POO -

Why so Serious?

Comment

Genetically Engineering can also cause other debilitating illnesses we don't know about yet. Heck, GE food has been known to cause kidney fairlure(in some).
                        My Online Game Lounge

Comment

Actually, I think there are sheep that are out there that are more human then some humans.
                          Don't forget you are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman View Post
                            I think I've heard somewhere about the ears growing on rats but that was a long time ago.
                            thats an old technique where they geneticall grow ear s on furless rats.
                            but thats amazing with the sheep and hopefully create better transplant organs

Comment

Working...
                            X