Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writer would appreciate some help

Default Writer would appreciate some help

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated. It may help me not to make the same mistakes if I ever get around to writing another one!

It would attract me! Just how its set out is great

Quote Originally Posted by Acelightning
    It would attract me! Just how its set out is great
    Thanks for replying and I'm very happy you like it If you're interested I've posted an excerpt from the book at this link: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnho...ge/mywork.html

It would be great to get some feedback on it.

No, think about it. Most books are stored with only the spine showing on a bookcase - you need to pull the book off the shelf first before you see the cover - a great title is the most important thing i think - and secondly i look at the synopsis - if that sounds boring no way will i read the book - the cover art really has no bearing for me whether or not ill like the book.
    I'm Hungry, let's get a taco, Thirsty? drink moloko
    Gamershood Online Paradise is now on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Jay
    No, think about it. Most books are stored with only the spine showing on a bookcase - you need to pull the book off the shelf first before you see the cover - a great title is the most important thing i think - and secondly i look at the synopsis - if that sounds boring no way will i read the book - the cover art really has no bearing for me whether or not ill like the book.
    Of course, thats your opinion...
    Last edited by Acelightning; 07-27-2007 at 11:34:12. Reason: Well duh?

Hi Ace,

Just wondered if you got a chance to check out the excerpts from the book and what you thought of them?

Oh I thought the way you use your expression words is awesome. I love the kinda books you write. they always make me want to read on.

Hi everyone,

I hope you will forgive me for getting all excited and letting you know about my first official review for The Magic Lands. You can find it here: http://www.enchantedentertainment.co...-mark-hockley/
    Of course, I hope it will help to encourage you to rush out and get a copy of the book!

I read your excerpts...thought they were brilliant, and kind of inspiring too. I write books as well, I have done since I was in primary school, and I have to say you are really talented. Btw, love the cover, and as an artist as well, I love the contrasting colours and the darkness that kind of borders it. Well done!
    Things you should never do:

Tell a lie
    Use a friend
    Break a promise
    Cheat your family
    Steal from the poor
    Pretend to be something you're not

For anyone interested there are a number of mini reviews of The Magic Lands on Amazon.co.uk It would be great to hear from some readers and I'm always happy to answers questions if anyone has one!