How do i hatch a mallard egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i hatch a mallard egg

Escape told me to keep it nice and warm. But i need help so i can tell my cousin everything on how to raise it
    Online family:
    Online bro: Point click man
    Online dad:RC-10M
    Online sis in law:Ratgirl

I think this topic calls for da Adventure Personally, I am clueless but I hope you will hatch the egg

STILL struddling

sigpic

PURPLE HELL is back and burning!! See you there!

Comment

I have found this:

Once
      incubation has begun it is pretty important not to disturb the process.
      If you retrieve the egg very shortly after the mother left the nest and if
      the egg was dry and if it is kept at a temperature around 99 degrees F and if
      the relative humidity is kept at 54%. The egg should be turned several
      times a day. You chances of hatching any eggs will be much better if you
      utilize a small incubator disgned for this purpose.

At other places they even mentioned a humidity of 75%

Maybe Adventure has some ideas for you

Comment

Here is a bit more information for you:

If you haven't already moved it, I recommend leaving it there and seeing if the mother comes back. Ducks don't sit on their eggs for long periods of times like birds do.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_you_fou...u_incubated_it

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...8160127AAxB4IQ

Comment

Oh, that is not so easy and I don't have any personal experience with it. So I can't be much of a help, sorry. But if you don't have a incubator or can find a stepmother (a brood-hen) this really gonna be hard if not impossible.

First of all is it fertilized and if yes, has the embryo already started to grow? If the incubation has started and the egg hasn't been hatched for more then 10 hours there's no direct worries (in nature it also happens that the mother leaves the nest for hours by disturbtion. But it is better that the hatching won't be interrupted longer than 15-20 minutes). If this is longer then 12 hours there is a chance the embryo doesn't develop anymore.

You can check if the egg is vertilized simple by putting a lamp in box with a small hole where the egg can rest on. Go to a dark room, put the egg with the bulge side on the hole and observe what you see. (You also can just use a small flashlight). If you don't see anything (besides the egg yolk of course) it just can be the incubation has started yet. If you see a tiny darker red spot on the egg yolk, the incubation has started (2-3 days, but this can be very hard to see) If you also see veins the incubation is around the 6-8 days. At the end of the incubation the egg will be dark and opaque. Further how larger the air cell, how older the egg (this also counts for not virtualized and hatched eggs). These pictures will help, but note that these pics aren't specific meant for a mallard egg.
          http://www.asby.com.sg/sucessful2.htm
          http://www.broedpagina.nl/schouwen.html

These things are important by hatching a mallard egg:
          Temperature: at least 83 degrees Fahrenheit to start the embryonic development and then the temperature has to gradually raised to a constant temperature of 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
          Relative humidity: by incubation process 50-55 % and by the hatch out 65-70 %.
          Enough ventilation. The mallard-chick breeds through the eggshell.
          The egg has to be turned at least 2 times a day, but it better to turn them 3 or 4 times. Thus every 6-8 hours.
          The total breeding-time of a mallard is 28 days.

Notes: never shake the egg and never wash it, even when it's dirty. This will damage the natural protection layer of the egg and can cause dead of the chick. Prevent temperature shocks all times.

Sorry this is all I know (and I had to look up the more specific info in my books). The best if you search yourself for more specific information.

I hope it all goes well and that you will see in a little month a little duck hatching out of his shell.

EDIT:
          Originally posted by EscapeGirl View Post
          If you haven't already moved it, I recommend leaving it there and seeing if the mother comes back. Ducks don't sit on their eggs for long periods of times like birds do.
          Very, very true.
          Faily of Kzin

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure View Post
            Oh, that is not so easy and I don't have any personal experience with it. So I can't be much of a help, sorry. But if you don't have a incubator or can find a stepmother (a brood-hen) this really gonna be hard if not impossible.

First of all is it fertilized and if yes, has the embryo already started to grow? If the incubation has started and the egg hasn't been hatched for more then 10 hours there's no direct worries (in nature it also happens that the mother leaves the nest for hours by disturbtion. But it is better that the hatching won't be interrupted longer than 15-20 minutes). If this is longer then 12 hours there is a chance the embryo doesn't develop anymore.

You can check if the egg is vertilized simple by putting a lamp in box with a small hole where the egg can rest on. Go to a dark room, put the egg with the bulge side on the hole and observe what you see. (You also can just use a small flashlight). If you don't see anything (besides the egg yolk of course) it just can be the incubation has started yet. If you see a tiny darker red spot on the egg yolk, the incubation has started (2-3 days, but this can be very hard to see) If you also see veins the incubation is around the 6-8 days. At the end of the incubation the egg will be dark and opaque. Further how larger the air cell, how older the egg (this also counts for not virtualized and hatched eggs). These pictures will help, but note that these pics aren't specific meant for a mallard egg.
            http://www.asby.com.sg/sucessful2.htm
            http://www.broedpagina.nl/schouwen.html

These things are important by hatching a mallard egg:
            Temperature: at least 83 degrees Fahrenheit to start the embryonic development and then the temperature has to gradually raised to a constant temperature of 99.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
            Relative humidity: by incubation process 50-55 % and by the hatch out 65-70 %.
            Enough ventilation. The mallard-chick breeds through the eggshell.
            The egg has to be turned at least 2 times a day, but it better to turn them 3 or 4 times. Thus every 6-8 hours.
            The total breeding-time of a mallard is 28 days.

Notes: never shake the egg and never wash it, even when it's dirty. This will damage the natural protection layer of the egg and can cause dead of the chick. Prevent temperature shocks all times.

Sorry this is all I know (and I had to look up the more specific info in my books). The best if you search yourself for more specific information.

I hope it all goes well and that you will see in a little month a little duck hatching out of his shell.

Thanks for the info guys
            Online family:
            Online bro: Point click man
            Online dad:RC-10M
            Online sis in law:Ratgirl

Comment

I don't knoq, But when it hatches, can I have a picture?
              Da pudding turtle fanatic
              Da PM spammers's fanatic
              THE ONE WHO LIVES IN PUDDING

I am the loony bin chip eater
              GFARDTO Chip eater
              WOO SITE! http://gamesrfun.smfforfree4.com/index.php
              AYUH!
              ( )_( )
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

R.I.P Kairi the guinea pig and Helena the rat
              Online family: Sister: Super_T.